Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Halloween Adventure

In the true spirit of Halloween, Little Sister,
I have been lurking in the shadows...
 and trick or treating
with the scariest little neighbours I have ever seen.

Last year, first thing in the morning on October 31
children chattered and played in the street
dressed in readiness for the big event event at dusk.

But this year was different.
There was no early morning laughter, or early sightings of frightening outfits.
I wondered if I spent the day preparing decorations and treats
if I would have any visitiors at all.

I live in a house with two resident male persons,
with no enthusiam for this quirky American traditon.
So I spent the day hanging lights, bats, spiders and webs alone.
I shopped and made treat bags.
The boys rolled their eyes.

I asked them to check if the lights were working.
They smiled. They grinned at each other.
It was not yet dark.
There was not a child to be seen.

I crossed the road and had coffee with a neighbour.
Night time was here.
From my coffee cup I could clearly see our stars and moon
and the fairy lights beckoning anyone passing by.

... And then it happened !
The pitter patter of little feet stomping up the stairs.
I smiled silently from my neighbour's house,
imagining the boys cursing my name,
and clambouring for cover.
But there was no escape. 
This time, THEY had to be the bearers of gifts !

A brief growly grumble was heard greeting
'Happy Halloween'
to a sweet, tiny fairy with long blond hair.
A treat was chosen,
the fairy carefully descended the stairs with her siblings
... and the growler retreated to depths of darkness.

I guess thats what HALLOWEEN is all about.
Its a time where even the most grumpy, gruesome of people
can fit right in and feel at home !

As darkness set in,
a total of 49 zombies, witches, gremlins, faires and more fairies
- all very well behaved and with manners to make any parent proud,
made the journey to the top of the stairs to Trick ot Treat.
Friends meeting Friends,
and neighbours saying 'Hi'

So next year we'll be back...
... with Halloween Bunting and treat bags to share ...







  




No comments:

Post a Comment