Thursday, February 3, 2011

My quilt...

I spent part of the summer school holidays at my mother-in-law's (MIL) house. She is a mad keen sewer and crafter and runs classes and has oodles of inspiration and fabric and ideas and and and...

So while I was there I got to thinking and decided that I would revamp a couple of things at home:

1. I had an old doona cover that was past its day but too good to throw out, and
2. I had a beautiful old woollen blanket that the kids REFUSED to have on their beds because it is scratchy.

What to do?

I made squares of all if... 35 of the blanket, and 70 of the doona fabric. I stitched the blanketing into the centre of the fabric and then stitched it all together like a patchwork quilt... well... it IS a patchwork quilt I guess.

I thought I would get a bit creative and see what I could do with the freehand embroidery needle... 
I am sooo happy with the results... I added the boys' names, plus all our pets that have made an impact on our lives... plus those little inspirational words to fill in the gaps.


I also decided to keep the original tag that was on it... a throughly vintage and gorgeous tag that has pride of place in the corner square... just to remind whoever finally ends up with it that it is a:

"Physician
Standard Chillproof All Wool Blanket
Made in Australia"


And to top it off, My Little Man sleeps under it every night, 
loves it to bits and thinks I am amazingly clever. Gotta love kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment